Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jimmies

So, in Milwaukee we have a few terms that others are not always familiar with. An example is the word "jimmies".

Some might think of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets a case of the "jimmie legs", but there is a more Milwaukee appropriate response.

My husband who is from southern Wisconsin, so far south it's almost Illinois (gasp!) doesn't know what it means either. He says they are called sprinkles. I disagree, and here's why.

In my opinion, sprinkles are colorful sugar that you might put on sugar cookies.

Jimmies are delicious little rods that are sort of chewy and often come in chocolate or rainbow flavors. (Yes, I know "rainbow" is not officially a flavor).

I even checked urban dictionary for the meaning of this term, and the majority of entries corroborate my definition of jimmies.

So next time you are looking to have a tasty colorful addition to your custard (frozen butter) sundae, be sure to ask for jimmies - not sprinkles!

No comments:

Post a Comment